I finally finished my VN Engine.
Well, “finished”, the backbone that make it more usable for me, than using a already made engine. I am pretty happy with the final result.
For a reminder, it can:
- Parse a text into tokens
- Create a tree from this tokens
- Interpret Nodes from Tree to call different Godot functions
- Recognize resources in the game and set them up, before loading the scene.
- Reading texts and attributing it to characters
- Trigger godot events and play animations
- Load next scene on another file
- Have a simplified choice system, where further animation/text can be triggered.
- Once choice is selected, it goes back to the rest of the tree.
From there there is still a lot to do (mainly saving, going backward) but writing a Visual Novel can be done relatively painlessly! I’m pretty happy to finally finish this project, because it was getting me stuck to pursue other things.
I will present it on my blog of course, but I need to draw one or two characters before showing it to the world.